The Children's Department maintains the children's collections and programs at the Monticello-UnionTownship Public Library. Throughout the year, programs and activities are offered that are educational and entertaining. We are a community partner in supporting children's early language and literacy development.
Certain ongoing programs are offered all year round. Please check our calendar to confirm dates and times.
- Lego League: Join our LEGO League for families of all ages. . Kids can build and display LEGO creations and we will put them in our display case for the week.We provide the LEGOs; you supply the creativity! Lego League is held on Mondays from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m.
- S.T.E.A.M. Club: S.T.E.A.M. Club has changed it's name and it's date. Kids now have more time to explore on the Third Wedensday of each Month at 3 pm. Kids are free to explore and invent on their own. We have LittleBits, Dot & Dash Robots, Bloxels and Cardboard Tool Box. For the Littles we have a Code-a-Pillar and Duplo Blocks on the story time rug. We provide lots of cardboard, tape, pom-poms! The kids just need to provide their imaginations.
- January 17th @ 3 pm
- February 21st
- March 20th
- April 17th
- May 15th
- Children's Arts and Crafts: Children of all ages can join us on the first Saturday of each month at 11 a.m. to create a craft. Check to see if registration is required, as some crafts feature limited supplies.
- January 6th - Pop Up
- February 3 - Puzzle Heart
- March 2 - Pot of Gold
- April 6 - Scrap Painting
- May 4 - Egg Carton Flowers
- Pop Up Craft Days! - Sometimes we have extra craft supplies and projects that we will throw on our tables for the kids to use in whatever art they want. Watch our social media for dates and times!
- Take It Make It - Check at the Children's Circulation Desk for our current Take it Make it. During school breaks such as Fall Break, Christmas & Spring Break, we usually have several that the kids can pick up.
- Library Scavenger Hunts - Who knows what you can find and learn with one of our Children's Room Scavenger Hunts. From learning another language, I Spy or fun animal facts, there is lots of fun and a prize from our treasure book at the end.
- Stories @ the Park - Join Mr. Duffers at Bluestem Nature Park, (802 S. Main St.) for some fun stories from nature and check out the park's new nature center on the 2nd Friday of the Month @ 9:30 am
- Winter Baby/Toddler Story Time
- Tuesdays @ 10 am
- We will have a lovely time of songs, fingerplays, stories and play with our littlest patrons! It's a great time for parents and care-givers to connect and get ideas for at home! So much we can learn together!
- Starts January 16th
1,000 Books Before Kindergarten
The Monticello-Union Township Public Library is pleased to present 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten, an early literacy reading book club at the library. This program encourages parents/adults to read to children from birth to age 5. Studies have shown that if you read 1,000 books to a child before school, it will mentally prepare them for school. FUN FACT! You don't have to read 1,000 different books in fact the studies show that it is the interaction between you, them and the books that makes the difference. So count that favorite bedtime book with a ditto!
For every 100 books read, kids will recieve a small prize and a keychain charm. If interested, please stop by the children's department to get a reading log or use the Beanstack app to join. Then check out some books and start working your way to 1,000!
For more information, contact the Children's Department at 574-583-2665 ext. 3313 or email