One-on-one researching can be requested through the circulation desk or you can access the Ancestry Library Edition on any computer within the library only. It cannot be accessed from home. To set up a one-on-one, please visit the circulation desk or call 574-583-2665 or email
View Genealogy Resources
How Does it Work?
- Adults and children may request materials not available in the Monticello-Union Township Public Library collection from other libraries.
- Request forms are available at the Circulation/reference desk. Or call (574) 583-2665.
- It generally takes 10 days to 2 weeks to receive requested materials. It can however take longer depending on how many libraries have to be searched. Other White County libraries are searched first and if not found they are placed on a worldwide interlibrary loan database.
- Interlibrary Loan materials generally may not be renewed. Libraries have different loan periods and travel time to and from make it nearly impossible to request longer loan periods. If you find you need additional time please contact the Interlibrary Loan Librarian, before your due date, at (574) 583-2665 to see if a renewal may be granted.
This service is facilitated and funded by the Indiana State Library.
- Computer and Internet Access
- The Monticello-Union Township Public Library has 12 CASSIE computer stations available for public access. There is no fee to use these stations but certain restrictions apply. (Please see our Computer/Internet Acceptable Use Policy) All computer sessions are regulated through CASSIE, our computer reservation software. Sessions are guaranteed for 1 hour, with time extensions in 15 minute increments if there is no-one on the waiting list. Additionally, we have 2 Express Stations available for quick, 15 minute look-ups and printing.
- Wireless Internet Access
- WiFi access is available to the public. The network’s name is Library WiFi. You will be required to accept the Library’s Internet Policy in the process of connecting.
- Printing, Copying, Faxing and Scanning
- Printing and Copying may be done at a cost f $.10 per page in black and white, $.25 for color.
- The library offers faxing service at $1.50 for the cover page and $1.00 for each page after that.
- The library offers scanning to email at no cost.
- Library Hotspots
- No internet at home? Borrow ours for all your Internet needs at home, on a long car trip or vacation. There is a one week check out limit, one renewal and holds can be placed. You must be 18 or older and the hotspot needs to be returned to the circulation desk with all of the equipment and accessories with it. Overdue fee is $0.25 per day. Replacement fees will accure if device and accessories are missing.
pdf Click on the link to view the Monticello Public Library's Internet Policy.
- Resident Borrowers
- The Monticello-Union Township Public Library is supported by Union and Jackson Townships property taxes. Residents of these two townships may apply for a library card by providing proof of current residence. Juveniles under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian who must sign the library application.
- Non-Resident Borrowers
- Liberty, Honey Creek, and Cass Township residents may apply for a library card, which will be purchased (all or in part) by their township trustees.
- Borrowers must bring their own library card to check out materials. Those with valid individual library cards may borrow 100 items of books and audiobooks. Video and music materials are limited to 10 DVDs and CDs at one time per card.
- Patrons will receive a "checkout receipt" which lists all items checked out and their due dates on that card.
- MUTPL will charge for damaged or lost materials. There is also a $2.00 charge for a replacement library card.
- Overdue items are fined $.25 per day per item. There will be a charge for lost and/or damaged materials. Borrowing privileges will be suspended for patrons who have fines over $10 until the items are returned or paid for and assessed fees paid.
- Fees - The Monticello-Union Township Public Library has the following fees for patrons who are not eligible for membership:
- $50.00 for a Public Library Access Card (PLAC), allows the owner to obtain a library card at any Indiana Public Library for one year after the purchase date of the PLAC card.
- $60.00 for a Non-Resident Card, which allows patrons living in an area without a library to obtain a library card at the Monticello-Union Township Public Library.
- Audio Books
- Periodicals(Magazines and Newspapers)
- Reference Help
- Genealogy Resources
The primary purpose of meeting rooms is to promote Monticello-Union Township Public Library services through programs, meetings and other library activities presented by library staff, the Friends of the Library or other organizations affiliated with the library. When a meeting room is not being used for a library activity, the space will be made available. The library may cancel any scheduled event if it conflicts with the operation of the library or if the room is needed for a library sponsored activity. A thirty-day notice will be given when possible before a cancellation or rescheduling is made by the library. Please make sure you have read the Meeting and Study Rooms policy when reserving a room.
With the exception of library-sponsored programs, meeting rooms may be reserved no earlier than two (2) months in advance. MUTPL allows organizations, businesses, and groups to use its public meeting rooms. Nonprofit organizations will not be charged for using the meeting rooms. Any personal, individual, and business meetings consisting of 10 or more people will be charged $75 for use of the rooms.
Meeting rooms are available only during these specific times:
- 10 a.m. - 7:30 p.m. Monday - Thursday
- 10 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday
Conference Room: Reserved for two (2) to fifteen (15) people.
The MUTPL has two (2) study rooms available for users to reserve for a quiet space. A study room can be reserved in advance at the main circulation desk. There is a time limit of two (2) hours, once a day for use. Study rooms can be reserved for up to 30 days in advance and are available on a first come, first served basis. There is no charge for using the study rooms.
Reservations may be made in person, by phone, or through the library’s website. NOTE: Library activities (including those sponsored by the Friends of the Library) take precedence in scheduling. Cancellations should be made as soon as possible in order to make the space available for others. No refunds will be provided.
If you have questions or concernts, please contact Scott Miller at 574-583-2665 ext 3304
- Printing and Copying
- Printing and Copying may be done at a cost of $0.10 per page in black and white, $0.25 for color.
- The library offers faxing service at $2.00.
- The library offers scanning service at no charge.